Skip to content

Here you will find familiar names like Raleigh, Humber, Campion and Brough.

Take a sneak peek at our transport gallery with this video, created by NTU students:



Before bicycles, cars and trains, wealthy people used horse-drawn coaches. In our gallery, we have a ‘Phaeton’ Coach which is a rare survivor. In its day, it was a very high-status means of transport. It is a sporty open carriage popular in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Drawn by one or two horses, a phaeton typically had a minimal, very lightly sprung body atop four extravagantly large wheels. With open seating, it was both fast and dangerous, giving rise to its name. We also have a ‘Landau’ Coach from 1689 which belonged to the Baskerville family and was donated to Nottingham City Council.

Before the safety bicycle

Before 1870 bicycles were not very practical, as the pedals were on the same axle as the wheel. Thomas Humber (1841–1910) was a blacksmith and keen cyclist. His factory in Beeston was the first to design and build a bicycle with a chain that drives the back wheel. It was easier to ride and control, and the shape became known as the ‘safety bicycle’. It is the same design in use today. We have Thomas Humber’s own bike.

Early safety bicycles

Everyone in the UK has heard of Nottingham-based Raleigh Bicycles. Many of our visitors worked at ‘the Raleigh.’ The name first appeared in 1885 by a small bicycle maker on Raleigh Street, off Alfreton Road. Sir Frank Bowden, a prosperous 38-year-old, bought one of their bicycles. He was so impressed that he went to Raleigh Street to meet the makers. They were making three bikes a week.

Bowden bought the business and turned it into the biggest bicycle manufacturing company in the world. The collection includes the iconic ‘Chopper’ and the gentleman’s Raleigh ‘Superbe.’ The latter model, introduction in 1907, went through many changes and is still available today. We also have a Raleigh bicycle made for world sprint champion Reg Harris who took two silver medals at the 1948 Olympic games.

An array of motorbikes

Our museum is home to locally made motorcycles. The collection of Brough Superior machines attracts interest with their bright chrome work and imposing size. Brough was the Rolls-Royce of motorcycles. The bikes were fast and successful in competitions. George Brough’s works were on Haydn Road in Nottingham from 1919 to 1940. Every motorcycle produced was test ridden to ensure that it performed to the specification. Our museum also has motorcycles from Raleigh and the Campion Cycle Company. Although Campion was in production for a long time (1893 to 1926) there are now fewer than twenty complete examples left.

Our Celer, fresh from the London to Brighton rally

Both Brough and Humber produced cars. In the centre of the gallery is a Brough Superior car. It is one of only four saloons made. Alongside the Brough is a smart looking 2-seater car. It has a plate on the engine and gearbox identifying it as a ‘Celer Car Company Nottingham’. The company lasted a year, and we think this is the only example left.

There are too many exhibits and stories to be told here. Come and visit us and find out more about the many unique artefacts from our volunteers.

We welcome weekday private group tours - please contact us to arrange

Find us

In the Courtyard at Wollaton Hall and Deer Park.


  • Adult £4.00
  • Concession / Student £3.00
  • Accompanied children FREE
  • Special prices may apply for event days - please see event pages for details
  • See 'Opening Times and Entry Fees' for discounted entry terms and conditions

Payment by cash, debit and credit cards.

Nottingham Industrial Museum is a registered charity (Number: 1167388).
We depend on your generosity to keep the museum open.

Volunteers manage and operate Nottingham Industrial Museum. We provide excellent opportunities for personal development. Please support the museum with your time and skills.

Follow us

twitter facebook instagram tripadvisor

Contact us

We aim to respond to all emails within 7 days
Or head to our Contact Us page for more options

Nottingham Industrial Museum is a Registered Charity Number: 1167388
Limited Company by Guarantee: 09679802
Registered address: The Courtyard, Wollaton Hall And Deer Park, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England, NG8 2AE

Back To Top